43 Missing Kids and Very Few People Care

Matt Noack, Staff Writer

Imagine that right here in Crystal Lake, there were protests, big ones.  Protesters fighting police, tear gas, riot police: the works. Now let’s say that in this confusion, six people were killed, and 43 went missing. Yes, 43 people. Now what if those were 43 kids from Central?  What if these 43 were kids you saw in the hall in between periods, at lunch, or on the bus?  Guess what happened to those kids? Just days ago, the police were attacking these kids. Who would you suspect? Now what if those 43 were found buried in mass graves off route 14?

This may seem like a hellish and unimaginable scenario, but for the students and teachers of Ayotzinapa, Mexico, this has become a reality. For the last several weeks, students have been protesting police brutality and corruption.

Much of the Mexican police force across the nation have been found to have ties to organized crime and cartels. The police forces are often paid to ignore murders and drug shipping. This rampant corruption has left many Mexicans with no one to turn to for protection. With the only just authority in the country being the Zapitas, a Marxist guerilla force in the South, they can not enforce law across the whole nation.

In the last few days, however, protests in the Capitol have take a turn. This was sparked by the coming forward of several known gang members whom admitted to performing the killings for the police. While most of the protest had remained peaceful, a few had broken from the main group and begun fighting with police. After this, the door of the Mexican presidential palace was set on fire. There is some debate on whether this was done by protesters, or by paid government insiders. Either way, the Mexican president has gone to China to attend the G8 world conference.  Perhaps a solution can be reached to end the horrific violence.