Social Dynamics @ Central High School

Back to Article
Back to Article

Social Dynamics @ Central High School

Kyshirra Williams, Staff Writer

Wake up. Go to school. Learn. Do activities. See friends. Eat. Sleep. Weekends. Repeat. During all this activity, how social are you?  I observed some social problems at Central, and after analyzing the responses I have received, I realized a lot of my thoughts were similar to my peers regarding the social dynamics in our school. Take a look at the people around you. From my point of view, looking around Central, I saw different groups of people: some single people, some loud people, quiet people, and some people not interacting, people whom I knew and some people that even though we were in the same class, I didn’t know. This brought me to think about Central socially. How are we socially? Why do some people not interact or why do they not know the others that they are surrounded by? Why in some places are there big groups and in other places one person? This led me to get the opinions of some of Central’s students.

Q1: Does Crystal Lake Central have cliques? 87% of students at Central said yes.There have always been cliques everywhere, and it is okay to have cliques, but the real question is how do we include others into our group and interact with others outside of our group? The challenge is talking to and including others that you might not see as often.

Q2: Who do you think is primarily responsible for making sure that a child has good relationships with his or her peers? 14% said the school, 27% said parents, and 59% said themselves, and I personally think it is up to  us as well. Your actions depend upon yourself. Are you willing to take the action to interact with others? Some people are not willing and if you are one of those people, it could be the reason why you do not know half of the awesome faces at Central.

Q3: Do you only hang out with people in the same activity as you? 85% of people said no, and this was surprising since most students admitted that there are cliques. In fact, this shows that the people you hang with do not have to be in the same activity as you for it to be a clique, so this is still a social problem.

Q4: Is it important for Central to be socially diverse? Socially diverse means having people with different opinions and backgrounds come together and be able to initiate a conversation together. 88% have agreed that yes, it is important to have a socially diverse community at Central. Being able to have your own group, ethnicity, and opinion and also being able to communicate with others that have different opinions from diverse backgrounds is really important. If more students can achieve this, not only will people be more willing to listen to others’ opinions, but they might even create friendships and more maturity can arise.  

Q5: Would you prefer if people said hi to you first? The majority of people answering the survey said yes. The percentage was 73%. This is important because how often do you see people besides your  teachers and friends greet you on a daily basis? It is a lot more common for people to just continue to walk through their day from one class to the next without acknowledging or greeting others that they do not know. Try greeting someone that you do not usually talk to; you could get a surprising result!

Q6: Do you feel uncomfortable talking with others outside of the people you know? 73% of all classes said no. If you have personal reasons for not talking to others, I want to encourage you to challenge yourself and get to know others.

The question that I think we should all ask ourselves is: How can I grow socially? Some people at Central have never thought about their relationships here. It is when we start to open up to the ones around us that we can make a better community. It is one thing to address the issues, but how can we as a community act upon the issues? Anyone can make a difference, but are you going to be the one to make the moves? How can a group of students catch the attention of students around them and make an attempt to make a difference for everyone else?

deskclass